By Michelle Ruschman One of the greatest gifts you can give to a child is the knowledge they have someone on their side. Carita Smith, Volunteer Recruiter, for the Florida Guardian ad Litem, is on a mission to ensure that local children who find themselves displaced from their homes know...
From the Mayor’s Office As your new mayor, I am honored to lead our community forward to better serve the residents, small businesses, and tourists—in that order. But I cannot do it alone. Are you looking to make a positive change in Destin? Destin needs passionate residents looking to improve their community...
By Patricia Lee, Destinites The holidays mean many different things to many different people. It’s not always a happy time of year. However, no matter who you are or what all has happened over the past year, you can find at least one thing for which to be happy. I...
By Heather Bennett Tim and Ronnie Wyatt, who were high school sweethearts, also share a love for sweets. When their printing business started to slow during the economic downturn, they turned towards pralines to help supplement their income. Having made the delicious, sugary treats for years for family and friends,...
It’s that time of year again, time to spend with family, time to enjoy the Christmas season, time for all of the parties, and of course, time to shop for everyone on your Christmas list. Whether you’re local or want to shop like a local, why not give back...
By Kim Schneider Now that we’ve all recovered from our turkey hangover, it’s time to decorate for the holiday season! Decorations add lots of cheer to the chilly and sometimes rainy holiday season. Whether you’re decorating for Christmas, Feliz Navidad, Hanukkah or Kwanzaa, I’m sharing some of my favorite decorating...
Why this holiday season may be an ideal time to buy that preowned vehicle you’ve been dreaming about By Will Estell Whether you consider yourself a well versed auto aficionado, or someone who simply desires a dependable and presentable automobile to get around in, it’s certainly no secret that both the...
Give the Gift of Sparkle! Beyond Measure Fine Jewelry Specializing in diamond, gemstone and precious metal jewelry pieces, the Beyond Measure Jewelers’ showroom, in its new location at The Market Shops, is full of diamond and gemstone bracelets, rings, necklaces and earrings! Make her spirits bright with a stunning engagement ring....
By JoDell Haverfield, Have Travel Memories One hundred years ago in January, a young writer from England embarked on a 10-month luxury voyage around the world with her husband. She was 31 years old. Her first novel had been published just two years earlier. On her trip she would surf...

Bring Back the Praise!

By Steve Kotowske, Senior Trainer, What’s Up Dog? You don’t have to teach a dog to be a dog. You must instead allow a dog to be a dog; a dog that lives in a human world, so to speak, when we take it on as our companion. As a...